Resuming Failed Download Using RSYNC


Situation : 
I have to download some big file from your server. but I don't have access to login in server system.
But using VPN you are able to downlaod some big file.

I tried downloading the big file from the server.
#wget http://10.0.0.1/mypath/mybigfile /root/myfiles/mybigfile
But most of the time the download was not completing, and If I try it using rsync it will ask for password which I was not having, so con't download using rysnc.
So I had to restart it from the beginning (and most probably it fails again, because of some n/w issue)

But now I am able to resume the failed download and continue my task.

Here are the steps
We have other system (say 10.0.0.2) which is local to server and I have credentials for that system.
So first of all I login to 10.0.0.2 and download the bigfile there
#wget http://10.0.0.1/mypath/mybigfile /root/workspace/mybigfile
As the system is local to server, downloading the file there is fast, it takes less than 1 minute.

So afer downloading the file on 10.0.0.2, I resume it using rsync.
rsync --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync --partial --progress --rsh=ssh root@10.0.0.2:/root/workspace/mybigfile /root/myfiles/mybigfile
It will ask for the password, supply it, and the downlaod will resume

2 comments:

  1. In order for a motorist to find cheap SR22 insurance quotes, wide research and shopping
    around should be done. Companies offer extended warranty automobile insurance plans at various levels.
    If you do not have a vehicle of your own, or car is not registered in your name, you can apply for a
    non-owner's SR-22 policy.

    my site :: price for car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just wish to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great information you have got right here on this post.
    I'll be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    My webpage: Time Warner Cable reviews

    ReplyDelete